I chose the GermGuardian CDAP4500BCA for a good variety of features coupled with a more or less moderate price. The air purifier has a strong 3-stage purification system, Wi-Fi control, an air quality sensor, and a timer.
At the same time, this model is compact and very well designed. It seems to me, it can look great in any room regardless of the décor. The manufacturer claims that the purifier can handle a room up to 124 sq. feet. The features, the design, and the price are the advantages I see before doing the review. So far, none of the disadvantages jump out at me. Let’s take a closer look to find out more.
This air purifier has a 3-stage filtration system that seems to deal with dust, germs, allergens, and odors. This makes this air purifier a suitable choice for any room of the house, including the kitchen and children’s rooms.
- Carbon layered pre filter – This filter offers the first layer of protection by filtering out the large particles helping the HEPA filter avoid extra work. The carbon layer allows the filter to keep the odors out making it suitable for smokers’ rooms and kitchens. On the average, the filter lasts about 6 – 9 months.
- TrueHEPA filter – This filter deals with the small particles, such as allergens, dust, pet dander, and dust mites. The true HEPA filter captures 99.7% of all contaminants 0.3 microns in size. This filter should be replaced every 6 to 9 months depending on how heavily you use the air purifier and how closely you follow the care and coverage area requirements.
The above two filters are incorporated into one. So you have to replace the filter pack simultaneously. While this is a convenient option for the owner, it seems to me that combination filters are not as powerful as separate ones.
Meanwhile, carbon filters usually have to be replaced after 3 -6 months of use and here you’ll be required to change them every 6 to 9 month. I believe that this combination filter shouldn’t be left inside the air purifier longer than 5 – 6 months. Such replacement combination filter (model FLT4825) for this GermGuardian model costs about $30 – $40.
- UV-C Lamp. This lamp is optional so you can turn it on and off depending on your preferences. Some people believe that UVC rays may be dangerous; however, many scientists advise that such rays are not harmful to humans. Meanwhile, the rays do a good job battling viruses and bacteria.
The air purifier is equipped with filter and UVC bulb replacement indicators. If you operate the air purifier using an app, it will inform you when the filters need to be replaced.
This air purifier is very compact. The tower stands only 22 inches high and weighs about 9 lbs. It’s a smaller sized version designed to fit just below the AC5350b in the Germguardian range of purifiers. The size of the purifier makes it easy to place anywhere in the room, even on top of a coffee table. Since the air purifier is very light, you can carry it from one room to another without any problems, even if you have to go up and down the stairs. The only downside of the purifier’s lightness is that it’s easy to topple over. That’s why it’s very important not to place it in the high traffic areas of the room.
The overall design of the air purifier is very sleek. It comes in black color and suits virtually any décor from chic to classic. When choosing a place to install the air purifier, don’t forget to leave some space between the unit and the wall in order to avoid blocking air openings, grills, and outlets. This hinders the work of an air purifier and can lead to poor life expectancy.
The air purifier has a nice control panel. However, it glows green and it’s impossible to turn the light down. This can be a downside for people, who can’t fall asleep unless it’s completely dark in the room.
The air purifier doesn’t require any complicated setup actions. Most of the time, it comes with the filter already installed. All you have to do is choose a place about 1 foot away from the wall and plug the purifier in. As most purifiers do, this one can have an annoying plastic smell during the first several hours of operation. It will go away on its own. This is kind of a “new car” smell for the air purifiers.
Sensors and Features
This air purifier is equipped with many useful sensors and features making it a high-tech and easy-to-use model.
- SmartAQM– This is an air quality monitor, which allows you to optimize the air purifier operation. The sensor detects the number of contaminated particles in the area and “makes a decision” whether the air purifier needs to start working when on auto mode. If the light is green, the levels are good (0-100). If it’s yellow the levels are average (101- 200). Once the light turns red, the levels are dangerously high (200+). When the air purifier is not on auto mode, you can monitor the levels yourself and make a decision about turning the unit on.
- Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Connection –The unit works with iOS7 and above as well as Android 4.3 and above. In order to operate the purifier from your smartphone, you need to download and install GuardianTechnologies free app. The app helps you monitor the air quality and control your unit remotely. Many users report that the app needs a facelift since it can be rather slow.
- Filter Replacement Indicator – The unit is equipped with a filter and UV-C bulb replacement indicator. Both of them are very useful since the filters lose their properties depending on the environment. Some may give out much faster than the declared 6-month timeframe. The sensors flash when the filter/bulb need to be replaced. Your app will notify you about this as well.
- Timer – If you want the unit to run for a certain amount of time (from 1 to 8 hours), you can set the timer. The air purifier will turn off automatically after the time passes. This is especially useful for the nighttime or the time you are away from home.
One of the most important factors for many people, who are choosing an air purifier, is the noise levels. I’m a light sleeper, who hates being disturbed. That’s why I always pay special attention to how loud an air purifier is.
The air purifier has 5 fan settings. The first setting is ultra quiet and can be a great choice for light sleepers like me. The rest of the fan settings are slightly louder. When used in the auto mode, the air purifier doesn’t produce loud sounds until the speed changes due to the increased air contamination levels. Accordingly, the auto mode may not be your favorite, if you are a sensitive sleeper like me.
The highest settings (4 and 5) produce a certain noise, which may be annoying if you are used to working or reading in a complete silence. However, they won’t interfere with conversation and TV watching.
Overall, this is a very quiet unit, which is suitable for any room including the bedroom.
The manufacturer claims that the air purifier can service an area up to 124 square feet. This is not a very large room. In fact, the unit is rather small so I didn’t have great hopes for it servicing large basements. It can be a good choice for kids’ rooms, small bedrooms, and studies. Let’s take a look at the CADR ratings to see if the claims are correct.
- Smoke – 80
- Dust – 100
- Pollen – 100
We use a simple formula CADR x 1.5 in order to calculate the approximate coverage area of the air purifier. Here we get 120 – 150 square feet. So the manufacturer’s claims are right.
This air purifier comes with a nice 3-year warranty. Make sure to keep the receipt in order to file a warranty claim. The warranty works only if you use the original brand accessories so make sure you buy the right replacement filters.
During the warranty period, the company will repair and replace the damaged parts free of charge unless the damage occurs due to an accident or unreasonable product use.
Three years is a nice term for a warranty. It means that the manufacturer is reasonably sure that the product will work flawlessly for at least 3 years.
- 3-stage filtration system, including UV-C lamp
- Reasonable price
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth operation
- 3-year warranty
- Compact and portable
- Sleek design
- Quiet operation
- Doesn’t service rooms over 124 sq. meters.
- Bright panel lights that can’t be dimmed.
GermGuardian CDAP4500BCA Air Purifier Review Conclusion
After reading many different product reviews and speaking to a few people, who are using this model, I can say that this air purifier is certainly a great product. It has an excellent filtration system, comes with an air quality sensor, doesn’t produce too much noise, and has a great design. Even though this unit has a few insignificant shortcomings, such as bright panel lights and a combination filter, overall it’s a great choice for small rooms.