It seemed to have everything a good purifier should, pre-filter, carbon filter, trueHEPA filter, and an ionizer. At the same time, it’s fully equipped with various sensors, such as air quality indicator, eco mode, and a timer.
Besides a good combination of features, I was truly impressed with the interesting design that can suit virtually any décor. The only downside I saw for myself before reviewing the item was a high price. Other than that, the plethora of positive online reviews led me to believe that this is a worthy model.
Let’s take a closer look.
This air purifier comes with a 4-stage filtration system that seems to take care of all the air contamination, including odors.
- Pre-filter –The permanent pre-filter is designed to capture large particles, such as hair, fur, and big pieces of dust. It takes a load off other filters and extends their lifespan. This filter doesn’t need to be replaced but it must be cleaned manually every 2 to 4 weeks depending on how often you use the air purifier
- Activated Carbon Filter – This filter takes care of some smaller particles as well as gases and odors. After reading may different reviews, I can say that this filter does a satisfactory job eliminating the odors in any room. However, if you smoke heavily in the same room with this filter, it might not eliminate the odor completely. This filter needs to be changed once every six months. The replacement will cost you about $25 for a 5-pack. Accordingly, one filter costs only $5
- TrueHEPA filter – The certified trueHEPA filter that comes with this unit takes care of 99.97% contaminants 0.3 microns in size. This means that almost 100 % of the allergens, pet dander, mold spores, and dust mites are eliminated. The trueHEPA filter does an exemplary job cleaning the air as long as you stick to the coverage area recommendations. Depending on the frequency of the air purifier use, this filter needs to be changed on a yearly basis. The price tag of the replacement filter is about $40
- Vital Ionizer – The final filtration stage is an optional ionizer. The ionizer uses negative ions to make the harmful particles heavier and easier to catch by the rest of the filter during the next filtration session. This air purifier was certified as safe, which means the ionizer doesn’t release any harmful ozone into the air. However, if you still have reservations about using this option, you can simply turn it off. The ionizer makes the air noticeably fresher and has been known to be very good at defeating mold spores.
This air purifier makes four air changes per hour. This means all the air in the room runs through the filters once every 15 minutes. This is not one of the most impressive showings on the market, but it seems satisfactory. You have to understand that the above information is true only if you use the air purifier in a room smaller than 360 square feet, as indicated in the instructions. Otherwise, the results won’t be as impressive.
I really like the design of this air purifier. It comes in two colors, black and white and it’s extremely compact.
It weighs only about 15 pounds and its dimensions are 16.8’’ x 18.3’’ x 9.6’’. You can install it on the floor or place it on a table. You can easily carry it from one room to another or up the stairs without straining. Such compact size allows you to choose various spots for installation. You can hide it behind a sofa if you wish. However, you can’t place it against a wall or other objects. It also has to be far away (about 6 feet) from electrical appliances. This considerably narrows down the choice of spots.
Some people think it looks a bit bulbous. Too rounded. If you’re looking for something from a good design point of view and the coway doesn’t do it for you, then I suggest you take a look at the Alen Breathsmart air purifier design
The control panel is located on top of the unit and is easy to read. The easily pressed buttons make the operation of the air purifier fast and convenient. Overall, I would say this air purifier has an outstanding design that can fit into any décor. The only downside is the inability to place it in the corner. You’ll have to watch out and not trip over the long cord.
This air purifier comes with a nice variety of sensors, which make the operation easier and more enjoyable. Let’s take a look.
- Air quality sensor – The air quality sensor is a wonderful addition to any air purifier. You don’t have to wonder whether or not the purifier is doing its job. The unit senses the air quality and as soon as it starts to decline, it automatically increases the fan speed in order to get the levels back to normal. You can also watch the air quality indicator, which changes color depending on the air quality. You have to remember to clean the air quality sensor every 2 months in order for it to show genuine results.
- Eco mode – This useful mode allows you to save energy. As soon as the air quality sensor gives a command that the air quality is normal for more than 30 minutes, the eco mode kicks in. It turns the fan off and allows you to save money on electricity bills.
- Timer – If you are too busy to think about the air purifier all the time, you can set a timer and forget about it. The timer will turn off the unit after 1, 4 or 8 hours, depending on your preferences.
- Filter replacement indicator – In order to take the filter worries off your shoulders, this air purifier is equipped with a filter replacement indicator. As soon as it lights up, you need to think about buying a new trueHEPA filter. The indicator doesn’t work for the carbon filters, just for trueHEPA.
In order to take the filter worries off your shoulders, this air purifier is equipped with a filter replacement indicator. As soon as it lights up, you need to think about buying a new trueHEPA filter. The indicator doesn’t work for the carbon filters, just for trueHEPA.
Unfortunately, this unit doesn’t have a sleep mode. You’ll have to adjust the fan speed manually. Meanwhile, there is no option of dimming the control panel lights. If you are bothered by the bright lights in your dark bedroom, you’ll need to cover the panel with something in order to hide the lights.
When it comes to choosing the right air purifier, the noise level is one of the most important factors for many people. The manufacturer claims that the noise levels of this model don’t exceed 58 dB. This is a good indication. It means that the highest fan setting is not louder than a normal conversation.
After reading the reviews and asking the owners, I found out that the 1st and 2nd fan settings are very quiet. If you are a light sleeper, you can install this unit in the bedroom and use it on the 1st setting during the night. The 2nd setting is a little louder. Average users won’t have trouble catching their z’s when the 2nd setting is on. The third setting, however, is rather loud. Even if you use it during the day, it might interfere with your work or reading, however this third setting would be useful in a basement or rooms when you’re not using them. All depends on how sensitive you are to the noise.
I would not recommend using auto or eco modes during the night since the changes in the fan speed could cause you to wake up. If you are a light sleeper, you should manually set the fan to the 1st speed and leave it for the night.
The manufacturer claims that the air purifier can clean the air in a room up to 361 square feet. Let’s take a look at the CADR ratings:
- Smoke – 232
- Dust – 246
- Pollen – 240
I used a simple formula (CADR x 1.5) to determine that the air purifier could service an area from 348 to 360 square feet. Accordingly, the manufacturer is correct and you can safely use this model in your rooms with an area under 361 square feet. This unit is a fairly good all rounder for this coverage area. Not overly impressive results in dealing with smoke and odors – If you’re looking for something that is, then head over and check my 2018 review of air purifiers for smoke.
This model comes with an impressive 3-year warranty. This means that the manufacturer is sure that this purifier will work for 3 years without failing. The warranty covers defects and malfunctions of the motor or electronic parts of the purifier, but only if it’s used according to the manual and the filters are changed on a regular basis. In order to take advantage of the warranty, you need to hold on to your proof of purchase.
- 4-stage filtration system
- Eco mode
- Energy efficiency
- Compact design
- Services rooms up to 361 square feet
- 3-year warranty
- No sleep mode
- High price
Coway AP1512HH Air Purifier review conclusion
After reading various reviews and hearing many opinions, I can safely recommend this air purifier to people who want to keep the air clean in the rooms up to 361 square feet.
This model is equipped with all the filters and sensors to make the operation easy and effective. The air purifier can be used in any room in the house to keep the air clean and fresh. There are a few downsides to this model, one of them being the price. However, the overall impression is highly satisfactory.